Learning the facts is the first step to preventing child sexual abuse.

Child Sexual Abuse Statistics |

The statistics and facts below can help you understand what child sexual abuse is, the risk factors and consequences for survivors, and how to identify and report suspected abuse. For all statistics and references, download the full statistics PDF.

The Magnitude of the Problem

Child sexual abuse is far more prevalent than people realize. Find out how big the problem really is.
Magnitude Statistics

Offender Statistics

Those who molest children look and act just like everyone else. Abusers can be neighbors, friends, and family members.
Offender Statistics

Circumstances of Abuse

Child sexual abuse takes place under
specific, often surprising circumstances.
Circumstances Statistics

Risk Factors

While no child is immune, there are child and family characteristics that can heighten the risk of sexual abuse.
Risk Factor Statistics

Consequences of Abuse

Emotional and mental health problems are often the first consequence and sign of child sexual abuse.
Consequences Statistics

Facts on Reporting

Only about one-third of child sexual abuse incidents are identified and even fewer are reported.
Reporting Statistics

Signs of Abuse

Do you know what to do if you suspect or discover child sexual abuse? Learn the facts about signs of abuse that will help you identify when to report.
What to Do Facts

All Statistics

Download a pdf with all statistics.
All Statistics

RETRIEVED https://www.d2l.org/the-issue/statistics/

5 thoughts on “Learning the facts is the first step to preventing child sexual abuse.

  1. Pingback: Learning the facts is the first step to preventing child sexual abuse. | Royal Commission and Brisbane Boys College

  2. Pingback: Recent reads … | Royal Commission and Brisbane Boys College

  3. Although this article mentions 30% of abuse victims causing harm on other children, what appears to be missing is what may occur with the remaining 70%. As part of this larger group, I know of others who are drawn into an ethical, or caring reaction. This is due to comparing feelings of having been in the other one’s position, feeling alone + wishing that some help was available. While this 30% may be obvious to the author, the 70% are grateful to be where they are.

    This posting seems to be ‘stirring the pot’ a lot, for mer. I only hope that other readers appreciate my replies/comments. Please, add your own!

  4. In ‘Magnitude Statistics’, it says that in US 60% of CSA Victims don’t come forward. We hope that CSA Survivours do, gaining much more from starting to speak with Counsellors and begin to heal.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.